Is there an alternative to a tripod?

Q I am interested in taking photos of birds of prey, but having shaky hands, I find that most of my pictures come out blurred. Other than a tripod, is there any other type of equipment I could use to help with this problem? I find the tripod restrictive when trying to photo birds in flight. Ben Roy
A Many new digital cameras have built-in image-stabilisation systems that can help minimise blurring. However, if you don’t want to spend money on new equipment then one nifty low-tech solution is the ‘imagestabilisation string’. This is essentially a length of cord that attaches to the bottom of your camera and then, using foot pressure, allows you to reduce vertical shake without restricting movement. You can buy ready-made strings or just make one yourself; there’s a great tutorial video you can watch on YouTube at

7Review earns Amazon affiliate commissions from qualifying purchases. You can support the site directly via Paypal donations ☕. Thank you!
We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.